Monday, June 16, 2008

Apropos of Nothing Else on this Blog: New Twist on a Great Old Idea

I think this is a really clever update of a great old idea: the rainwater cistern.

Once upon a time, houses were commonly built with cisterns under or adjacent to the foundation for catching rainwater, which could then used in the garden or for washing. My beloved old house in Appleton, Wisconsin (built approximately 1912) appeared to have one under the cellar floor -- alas, with the pipe system removed.

Since then, I've been intrigued by the possibility of somehow sneaking one onto my property (which would require a David Copperfield-level deception perpetrated against my nosy homeowners' association). It would require a rather large hole in my backyard, and it's a bit hard to think of a way to explain that.

This clever young Australian architect, however, has designed a modular system (you can purchase as many chambers as you like for your site, each holding something like 50 gallons) that can be plumbed together and installed in any number of ways. The under-the-deck idea is a win-win: no digging below grade, a space that would most likely be wasted anyway, and it's barely visible! I wish her well! And maybe, maybe, I'll order a set sometime!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home